Your Big Day Starts Here



Graduation Cap and Gown Return Policy

All graduation regalia will be final sale, and is not eligible for return or exchange.

Graduation Items, Availability, and Deadlines

Diploma Frames are available for purchase year-round at the Co-op in store and online. Customizable frames are available through and production and shipping times may vary.

Cap and Gown, also known as regalia, for Bachelors and Master's are available year-round at the Co-op store and online subject to inventory availability. However, to guarantee a complete package, purchase cut off dates are assigned. Please view the product page for your regalia for cutoff details. We cannot guarantee inventory availability for purchases made within 7 days of a graduation date. For purchasing custom Doctoral Gowns, there is a 7 – 8 week lead time. These dates are also listed on the doctoral purchase page. UT Official Doctoral regalia is also available to rent. There is a 5 – 6 week turnaround time for rented Doctoral regalia.

Graduation orders are usually ready in less than a week, but there are priority ordering dates.

2024 Spring Commencement – May 11, 2024
Doctoral Purchase Priority Ordering Date
March. 01, 2024
Doctoral Rental Priority Ordering Date
March. 29, 2024
Bachelors & Master's Purchase Priority Ordering Date
April. 12 2024

Help! I missed the priority ordering dates and I haven’t ordered any of my regalia!

Please place an order, call customer service, or come in to visit at the Co-op. We will try our hardest to get you what you need in time for your ceremony. After our deadlines, we can’t guarantee we’ll have the right color/size for you, but we will do our best to make sure you can walk.

I have a black cap and gown; can I wear that to my Bachelor’s ceremony?

The bachelor’s gown is a traditional black gown, so a black gown worn to another graduation (such as a high school graduation) should be similar. The masters gown has a different sleeve.

What do I need to graduate?

You must apply to graduate and participate in graduation ceremonies. Check with your college to apply. To participate in the ceremony, you’ll need a cap and gown set and the appropriate color of stole and tassel for bachelor graduates, or hood and tassel for master's graduates.

For information about ceremonies, visit the UT Commencement Website.

What do I need to know to order or purchase my Cap and Gown?

All undergraduate and graduate students will wear a black cap and gown. You will need to know your height to determine gown size. Your stole or hood as well as your tassel color will change depending on your college and what type of degree you are getting. You’ll need to know your degree and college. For a list of schools’ stole and tassel colors click here.

Where do I get my honor cords?

Honors cords are handed out by the organization you are receiving cords from. Individuals cannot order cords directly. If you are a club or other student group looking to order honor cords for your group, contact customer service for details about special ordering your department or organization's honor cords.

How long will it take for my order to be ready?

In stock graduation items are typically ready for in store pick up or shipment within a week.

My graduation cap and gown are on backorder, will I get it by graduation?

Yes! If your items are on backorder, you’ll be notified by email. Your regalia will always be ready before your ceremonies if you order before the deadline.

Can I place my regalia on hold?

No. If you are concerned about receiving your regalia in time for your ceremony, we strongly recommend placing your order online.

Can I rent my cap and gown?

Bachelors and Master's regalia sets are not available to rent. Doctoral students may rent their caps and gowns. We recommend renting as early as possible to secure your rental.

Can I decorate my cap?

Yes! UT does not have restrictions on this, but check with your individual college as well. The Co-op Art Store offers many craft and art supplies great for cap decorating! Visit Co-op Art + Supply for tips and supplies!

Do I need tickets for my graduation ceremony?

Some ceremonies hosted in smaller venues require guest tickets, and the University-wide fireworks ceremony requires that students pick up tickets for themselves. For more information, visit:

Where can I get my class ring?

The Texas Exes Association sells the official University of Texas class ring. Shop Rings Here!

What do I do with my cap and gown after graduation?

The gowns are 100% recyclable!

+Doctoral Caps & Gowns

How do I measure myself?

Visit this blog post for measuring tips!

Can I rent the traditional regalia if I'm a student?

The UT Official custom gown is the official regalia for doctoral candidates graduating from the University of Texas, it is the preferred style of regalia that should be worn to UT commencement. However, students may opt to wear the traditional, faculty regalia to commencement instead.

Should I rent or purchase?

If you are planning to continue teaching at another university, we recommend purchasing your regalia. The custom gowns are designed to last a lifetime, so it’s a one-time investment and will save you from going through a rental process each semester. A good option for those who cannot make the investment right now is to purchase part of the regalia, and piece-meal your way into purchasing the entire set. Keep the hood from your initial hooding ceremony for a great a keepsake!

The last consideration is timing. When you purchase a gown, they are custom-made to order and will take 7-8 weeks to arrive. Rentals typically are available on a shorter timeline.

I am from another school. Can I order from the Co-op?

For special orders please call Oak Halls' Custom department directly at 1-800-223-0429.

What’s the difference between UT’s Official Doctoral Regalia and Traditional Faculty Doctoral Regalia?

The University's Official custom regalia is the official regalia for all doctoral degree candidates including degree candidates receiving professional degrees in Pharmacy (PharmD) and law (Doctor of Jurisprudence - JD). It is the preferred outfit for doctoral candidates walking in commencement.

Comes with a Madison-style gown with two embroidered, gold towers on the front lapel, matching velvet hood lined with Texas Orange and white satin, matching velvet tam with gold metallic tassel, and two pins.

Visit us to see samples and receive a consultation from our graduation experts.

The UT Official cap & gown cannot be customized in any way. You may purchase the items all together or individually.

Doctoral Regalia
Doctoral Regalia
Hood$191Hood Included
Tam$110Not Rentable
Pin Set$46Not Rentable

Traditional regalia may be worn by doctorates from any university. Faculty at UT typically wear the traditional style of regalia to commencement ceremonies, which will allow you to wear a hood with your alma mater’s colors.

Comes with a black doctoral robe, velvet tam or mortarboard, and velvet hood designating your degree with satin lining highlighting your alma mater.

Traditional regalia may be rented or purchased. Purchase price ranges from $604 - $1,150; purchased regalia is customizable. Rental price ranges from $53.99-112.99; rental regalia is a simplified outfit and customization is not available. Pricing and customization details available on the order form.

To place your Doctoral Regaila Order now, click here.

What’s the difference between the Madison and Jefferson style gowns?

The Madison style Doctoral gown will have a gathered cuff sleeve. When you raise your hand for accepting (or giving!) a diploma, the cuffed sleeve will be visible. Overall, this style of gown is more ornate, with extra pleats (extra fabric), and a slit at the waistline for easy reach into your pockets beneath your gown. This style of gown is more expensive, but it more common because of the pocket and the cuffed sleeve.

The Jefferson style gown has a loose bell sleeve. Visually, when your hands are down, the gowns will be very similar, but the Jefferson features less fabric overall and is a little lighter weight.

What are my fabric options?

Your hood and gown should be the same fabric. Samples are available in the Graduation Department on the Academic Floor of the Co-op.

REGENCY POPLIN65% Polyester, 35% Cotton. Lightweight, breathable, prone to wrinkling.$191$106$37
VENTURE100% polyester Gabardine.

DALTON CREPE100% Polyester.$267$146$43
PEACH SKIN100% Polyester.$304$165$46
TROPICAL WOOL100% Polyester.$335$175$48
ROOSEVELT100% PET Recycled Material.$335$175$48

REGENCY POPLIN65% Polyester, 35% Cotton. Lightweight, breathable, prone to wrinkling.




VENTURE100% polyester Gabardine.




DALTON CREPE100% Polyester.




PEACH SKIN100% Polyester.




TROPICAL WOOL100% Polyester.




ROOSEVELT100% PET Recycled Material.




What does the color of the velvet mean?

The velvet panels on the gown and sleeves are available in PhD Blue velvet or Black Velvet. Both options are acceptable. We recommend making this decision based on your personal preference or what coordinates better with your tam, cords, or hood. Typical rental gowns at any university will have black velvet, so if you want to stand out, the PhD blue provides a nice pop of color.

What are my options for cording accents?

You are able to choose whatever cording color you like, typically, graduates will choose the color of their discipline (light blue, for example, represents education) or their alma mater. You may also choose to add cording to your doctoral hood along the rim of the velvet or the rim of the hood itself.

Cording for the gown: $71   |   Cording for the hood: $37

What are my tassel options?

If you purchase a tam, you must choose the type of tassel for your order. You may order a removable gold tassel free of charge (this tassel will be similar to your bachelors or master's tassel), or you may choose to add a sewn-on gold tassel to your tam (these sewn-on tassels are smaller and do not move, so they will never hang in your face and can’t be lost)

Sewn On Gold Silky Tassel is a yellow, silky tassel that is sewn onto the tam: $25.00
Sewn On Gold Metallic Tassel is a gold tassel has metallic fiber that will never shred and is a true gold color. $45.00

What’s the difference between the velvet tam and the mortarboard?

The mortarboard is the typical 4-corner flat cap worn by undergraduates when graduating, although the custom doctoral cap is fitted and will feature a gold tassel. Mortarboards are covered in the same fabric as your gown, pricing is listed in the gown fabric guide above.

Velvet tams are more commonly worn by doctoral graduates – they are more comfortable and easier to wear. Tams are available in black or PhD blue velvet, and also 4, 6, or 8-corners. Typically, graduates choose the tam color to match the velvet color on their gowns. The most commonly worn style of tam is a 6-corner. The 8-corner is a little more ornate, while the 4-corner is simpler.

Corner Tam: $82.00   |   6-Corner Tam: $89.00   |   8-Corner Tam: $93.00

+Announcements & Invitation

Can I see a sample of your invitations?

Samples are available in store.

Which ceremony do I invite my friends and family to?

There are two ceremonies which you can attend - your individual college ceremony and the University- wide ceremony.

The individual college ceremony is where your name will be called, and you walk across the stage. Individual ceremonies are usually inside and air-conditioned.

The University-Wide ceremony is the outdoor fireworks ceremony with a commencement speaker.

How do I fill out my Invitations?

Check out this blog post for invitation and announcement etiquette.

How do I download the template for the invitations?

You can download the template yourself here.

How do I place my custom announcement order?

You can place your order with Herff Jones here.

How long does it take for my custom invitations to arrive from Herff Jones?

Delivery time varies based on sesaonal demands. Once the order ships, a shipment confirmation email from Herff Jones, along with the tracking number, is sent to the email address provided. Standard orders are shipped via USPS. For more information, please visit: here

I have questions about my customer announcements order?

Please visit here for information on custom orders.

+Diplomas & Diploma Frames

When will I get my diploma?

These are usually mailed out roughly 6 weeks after graduation. Check with the University for more information.

How do I get my diploma framed if I don’t have my diploma?

Our frames are designed like picture frames. You can remove the back of the frame and mount the diploma inside with ease. The frame will include instructions and the appropriate acid-free tape to hang your diploma.

The Co-op does not offer framing services.

Can I buy just the mat of a diploma frame?

We are unable to sell mats and frames separately.

Do you sell frames for other sized certificates?

Yes, we have a few stock frames designed for 8.5 x 11” certificates and we also offer a State of Texas frame for board certificates.

If you are looking for something else that you do not see on our site, we can most likely special-order it for you. Contact us by phone or email.

I would like a second copy of my diploma, is that possible?

Yes, the University offers a service for this. Please contact Diploma Services in the UT Registrar’s office for more information.